You can up your game and get a better response if you use an original opening line for online dating. Don’t settle for something everyone’s already heard and used. Instead, show off your personality and originality with the best opening lines ever.
Online Dating Opening Lines That Spark Interest
You’re looking at someone’s profile, and you want to introduce yourself and make contact. The thing is, you know this person probably gets lots of messages. How do you stand out from the crowd? The key here is sparking interest. Try these opening lines.
Ask About Something in Their Profile
People naturally like to talk about themselves, so ask a question that gets them talking. You can find the inspiration in their profile. If you show you’ve read someone’s profile, you’ll get bonus points.
- “I see you’re into acoustic guitar. Who is your favorite musician?”
- “You’re into science fiction novels, right? What was the last great book you read?”
- “I love that you are passionate about volunteering at the animal shelter. I’ve always wanted to do that. What’s the best way for me to get involved too?”
List Your Top Three Things
What are three things you couldn’t survive without? Mention those right away, and make them specific and unique. Then ask about the other person’s top three.
- “I can’t live without cheese, the Dodgers, and a really good pair of Nikes. How about you? What can’t you live without?”
- “In order to be happy, I absolutely must have my favorite unicorn t-shirt, my camera, and great coffee. What three things do you need?”
- “I’m addicted to binge watching Stranger Things, reading historical fiction, and dying my hair funky colors. What three things are you addicted to?”
Funny First Message Online Dating Examples
If you can make someone laugh, you’ve already formed a connection. The key here is making someone you don’t actually know yet laugh; that’s a bit more difficult. You can try a one-line joke or a clever icebreaker as a starting point or use one of these funny first message examples:
- If someone has a photo with a pet in it, you might say, “You have the most beautiful fur and whiskers I’ve ever seen, and your human is pretty cute too.”
- You can ask a silly “would you rather” question, such as, “Would you rather be cursed with glitter raining down on you all the time or be forced to eat nothing but potato chips for a week?”
- Make a joke about your job or college major to show you don’t take the stereotypes too seriously, such as, “I’m an English major, but I promise I won’t be correcting your grammar. What was your major?”
Examples of Online Dating Openers That Find Common Ground
It’s really important to find common ground when you are starting a conversation with someone online. If you can find out what interests you share, you’ll have plenty of material to build your connection and continue the conversation.
Share Something From Their Bio
Choose something from the person’s bio that you share and build on that with a question:
- “I see you love Star Wars. I do too! Do you like the original episodes better or the new ones?”
- “You went to the University of Michigan four years after I did! Which dorm were you in?”
- “I love hiking too. What’s the best hike you’ve been on lately?”
Comment on the Match
Were you matched by the online dating site? If so, it probably saw something you had in common. You can mention that to start the conversation going:
- “I see we’re a potential match! I bet it’s because we both like getting out in nature so much. What’s you favorite place to go?”
- “Looks like the site matched us, so we must have a lot in common. I love Italian food too. Have you been to the new restaurant downtown?”
- “I’m guessing the site matched us because we both like cooking, but I bet we have more than that in common. What else are you into?”
More Great Opening Lines for Online Dating
There are lots of other great ways to start up a conversation without being boring or creepy. It’s all about crafting a personalized and clever opener.
Ask a Great Question
The best opening lines for online dating include a question. It shows you want more interaction, and it encourages a little back-and-forth. The question can be serious or silly.
- “How do you feel about anchovies on pizza?”
- “What was the last thing you did that made you really happy?
- “I drink way too much coffee. What’s your biggest vice?”
Poke Fun at Yourself
Getting started with online dating can feel awkward, and it’s fine to acknowledge that. If you can poke fun at yourself, it shows confidence.
- “You’re so pretty, and I’m totally stressing about how to start a conversation with you. I’m just going to keep it simple. Would you like to grab coffee sometime?”
- “Even just looking at your photo gives me butterflies, but I have to ask, would you be up for a movie?”
- “You’re obviously a way better runner than I am, but would you be willing to slow your pace a little and go for a run on Saturday?”
Make It a Great First Conversation
No matter what opening line you use for online dating, you’ll need to continue the conversation if it works. It helps to have a list of questions to ask to get to know someone. With a little preparation and inspiration, that first conversation is sure to be a great one.